Many people want to fill in the gaps of their knowledge, without adequate preparation for understanding the questions, let alone the answers they derive. Many have questions which may include, why do humans exist, where did we originate, what happens after death?
These are good questions but answers aren’t readily forthcoming without adequate education and sufficient training of the mind to discern fact from fiction.
From the earliest writings, we find creation stories, mythical explanations of the cosmos, and hopeful expression’s of a bright future, without first hand knowledge of exactly what that entails. Thus, religion is born. Religious thought attempts to fill in the gaps of what we don’t know, providing explanations by people who claim special insight and inspiration from a being or beings with unmeasurable, and eternal capabilities far beyond our mortal world.
Religious thoughts, aspirations, ideals and convictions vary, but the most adherent are able to convince others through their willingness to suffer for the cause.
Searching the archives of religion, and checking it against accumulated knowledge over the centuries, often reveals contradiction and weaknesses within ancient explanations of the cosmos or originations.
To this day, we find people with a variety of beliefs battling for the hearts and minds of others, especially the young who lack life experience and adequate skills to question the answers. Institutions of government, media, and churches are constantly engaged in promoting their responses to the public.
Here’s what I’ve found to be prevalent on how people adhere to their religion.
- In golf as in life it is the follow through that makes the difference.
- The gap between contemplation and execution is measurable.
- Many declare their sympathies for those with anxieties but are unable to explain the why & how. Religion does that, but for many, that’s not sufficient.
- They later go on, clinging to the declarations, without adequate explanation, which serve outward appearance, but lack the original conviction.
- That’s why in the end, very few could be convicted of being a devout anything other than fulfilling their wants, in spite of their declarations.