I read this article today about former Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert. I felt sick.
Former House Speaker Sentenced To More Than a Year In Prison
After reading the details of this, I recall other news about adult authority figures sexually abusing youth. Dennis Hastert is one of many sordid stories.
Here are just a few examples:
- Gerald Arthur “Jerry” Sandusky: football coach: serial child molester
- One in 50 priests is a paedophile: Pope Francis says child abuse is ‘leprosy’ infecting the Catholic Church: the Daily Mail UK
- Sexual Misconduct in US Swimming Team: 20/20 Report
- Sex Abuse Lawsuit Settled by Mormons for $3 Million
- Wayne Bent aka- Michael Travesser, leader of Lord Our Righteousness Church: criminal sexual contact of a minor
- Ariel Castro kidnappings
Sexual abuse is a horrible crime whenever it occurs. Other acts perpetrated by people such as, murder, rape, sexual molestation, human kidnapping / trafficking & imprisonment, are hideous crimes. There is little that can be done after the fact to truly right the wrong that has been committed.
Some people want to suggest this is old news or shouldn’t be brought up in conversation. I find fewer topics more worthy of showing the spotlight on and watch the rats scurry about. It’s a problem that people often refuse to acknowledge among their relationships, organizations, or religious affiliation.
I don’t have the credentials or special insight on this deeply troubling topic, but I have found a few resources which you may review or turn to for further information.
Let’s start with awareness – Online information:
- Sexual Safety In Youth Sports.
- 64 Facts About – Child Sexual Abuse
- Kidnapped Children Found Alive
- Good Therapy Org – Ethical Therapy
- Child Welfare by Country
After reading these stories and some of the information which I referenced, I discovered a story from Australia.
Perhaps this ‘accident’ could be incorporated as a form of punishment? Then again, there’s worse things, think about the victims and their lives.